I just received a new pair of m3ti and a vp100. quick setup last night, late, running them with a h/k avr220 and a sony ps-2 dvd. no other speakers of any kind. had to mount m3's on top of my bookshelf (6ft high) with the vp100 at same level and centered about 4ft from each m3 and all about 2ft above the tv. a quick setup with the receiver and off i went. here are my first impressions:
1.my receiver must suck
2.vp100 sounded...nice. but uninspired and kinda "dull." i was, however, pretty amazed at being able to hear so many things i had previously missed w/o a center.
3.m3ti's also sounded "dull" and i had to turn up the volume to really hear much of anything.
now all that said, i must admit that:
1.my room sucks; high vaulted ceilings, tile floors, glass sliding doors, many openings to other rooms etc. room size is app 12x20 with 8 to 14ft high ceiling.
2.i know next to nothing about home audio
3.i haven't yet placed speakers properly which i will do this weekend.
4.ps-2 is not ideal to play dvd's and cds
5. the only music i tried was the stuff from the Direct TV.

this weekend i will change speaker positions and speaker cable. i'll also hook up a loaner sub, and run the speakers with a great old sony tube amp. (music only)

conclusion: i'll wait and see how much difference speaker placement makes, but right now i'm a little disappointed and will wait to see about the "break-in" period. i may just have to take everyone's advice and spend the extra dough for the m22's but that'll mean an epic battle with the wife - she (me too to some extent) doesn't want to see the speaker and doesn't want to spend "too much" money.