A good starting place is to set all your speakers to small and cross all of them over at 80Hz this is what Audyssey actually recommends. You can raise the crossover of a speaker w/o effecting Audyssey. However, Audyssey does not calculate an EQ curve for a speaker below the crossover point determined during your receivers auto-setup (that’s what’s actually setting your speakers crossovers). So if you lower a crossover setting for a speaker the Audyssey EQ curve is not being use below where you lowered it from.

IMO it’s a good idea to start this way to get a good baseline. From there if you want to experiment to see how things sound with different settings you have a common reference point to compare things to.

To answer your specific question I have all my speakers set to small and everything but my M80 L/C/R set to 80Hz. My M80s are set to small and 50Hz right now. I do this for two reasons. I feel that the 50Hz-80Hz sounds much better coming from my M80s than my subwoofer. Also, I want all the bass in movies below 40Hz going to my Buttkicker so I start the roll-off higher than 40Hz.

I’ve also run my M80 large with double bass, or LFE+Mains in another room to help smooth out the bass by having multiple sources. But what works best for you is going to be totally dependent on your setup, especially the room and your personal preferences.

Cheers,
Dean

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1