Originally Posted By: bolt148
Recently I adjusted the subwoofer output level on my NAD receiver because I wasn't getting the bass output that I wanted from my EP500. So I set the level to plus 5, and adjusted the volume on the EP500. However, I found that when I adjusted the sub output on my receiver, the EP500 occasionally made this popping noise from the cone during extreme LFE tracks. I thought it was just a fault with the audio track on this particular movie, but it happened on multiple movies. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I know that it is supposed to be impossible to clip an EP500, but that sure sounds like what is happening to me. I adjusted the sub level back to 0 on my receiver and that seemed to fix the problem, but it really makes me wonder.

Did you just purchase the EP500 recently? Supposedly on the newer EP500 individuals have noted they have to increase the pre-out signal significantly on the receiver to get the output they wanted. This was never a problem with the older amp versions. Certainly having the sub pre-out level set to +5 could produce this "pop". Turn down the sub pre-out to around +1 or +2 and turn up the gain control on sub to compensate (as much as you need).

As for being impossible to clip the EP500, if you try hard enough you can get ANY sub to make unwanted sounds such as "flapping", "rattling" and "popping".

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne