This is pretty OT, but I've got a question that someone here might be able to help with.

Some of you might know that I've been building an entertainment center for nigh on a year now. It's almost done, but I really screwed up the finishing part of it, and I need some advice on fixing it.

The project is white oak. I'm using Minwax oil based finish and a separate polyurethane (brush on). I put on 2 coats of finish, and one coat of poly. So far, so good (beautiful, actually). Then I read the instructions on the back of the poly can that said to sand down the poly before applying a second coat. So (here's the stupid part), I got out the orbital sander and some 320 grit sandpaper, and proceeded to sand that mutha. Oops. I seem to have gone through at least one level of stain (and the poly, obviously!) in most areas and left pretty awful scratches on it. I would just resand the whole thing (sigh-that's a lot of work!), but significant parts of it are white oak plywood-which has already been sanded a bit with 180 and 320 grit paper. I don't want to risk taking off all the veneer. I tried just repolying on side of it and it looks horrible. Anyone have any ideas or do I just need to hand sand it very, very carefully?

My current thought is that I'll try to sand off the poly and just restain it.

BTW, this is my first major project, and the first thing I've ever finished.

Thanks, guys!

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!