There is along link on this topic somewhere here. Unfortunately, the Search function normally just makes me angry so I didn't go looking for it myself.

I agree with Adrian. Master and Commander has the most amazing surround effects I have ever heard. If your speakers are calibrated right, you literally hear sound from everywhere, even above your head. Great cannon fights too.

Also agree on War of the Worlds but I specifically go to it for the Tripod emerging from the sidewalk scene for the best subwoofer scene I have at my disposal. Pan's Laybrinth had amazing visuals as I recall but I can't think of where the sound amazed me except I recall it was pretty good.

The Lord of the Rings movies are another top pick for me and demos. Any one of the three contains sooo many great surround and LFE moments and the visuals are equally well done.

For music, I almost always draw out my old stand by, "The Eagles, Hell Freezes Over". Also now, "Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds, Live at Radio City". Just two guys, two guitars, one guitar per speaker but I don't think I have ever heard another recording so breathtakingly clear and lifelike.

Edit:
Oh and if they want something a bit more hard hitting, I'll play selected tracks from "Nine Inch Nails, Beside you in Time." On a big screen with some volume, you will feel like you are part of the very energized crowd. Complete with some LFE you will feel in your chest. Careful with your audience though, the language can get interesting.

Last edited by Murph; 06/23/10 03:07 PM. Reason: Forgot one.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.