Well, I have a Bravo D1 (had actually. I'm returning it for a D2), and I had my Samsung HLN4365W DLP HDTV professionally calibrated by an ISF certified technician. You can find a technician in your area at:

http://www.imagingscience.com/isf-trained.cfm

I think it was worth it, but it did cost an arm and a leg. They calibrate individual inputs on your set. It cost me $275 to have my DVI input calibrated, and I had one component input also calibrated. Total -- $350. Yipes! Prices in your area may vary. I had (will have) my Bravo plugged into the DVI input, and my HDTV cable box plugged into the component input. IMHO, the calibration dramatically helped the HDTV picture from both sources. Ironically, I watch most of my non-high definition television on an S-video input. The NTSC television signal doesn't look very good on the calibrated component input, and I have some scaling options on the S-video input that are unavailable on the component input. Were I you, I spend the money.

And yes, I would only hook up the D1 to the DVI input of my TV. Hooked up that way, it shines.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton