ravi,

I am not too sure if a power conditioner will solve your problem (usually wanted/needed to clean up "dirty" power sources). And going to a UPS would be a bit of overkill (and probably expensive), I believe. Using a UPS is a good idea on a PC to protect valuable data, but is really not needed for your HT system.

What IS needed is a good quality Power strip with surge supressor - to protect your equipment against power surges (often caused by lightning strikes). A good one could cost $30 - $50 and have a joule rating somewhere around 15K - 20K (as I remember, but I'm not 100% sure about the numbers). As I calculate it, unless your TV is a big projection unit, you receiver and sub are the largest current demand devices. To see what the total load is on the outlet you have the power strip plugged into, look on the back of all the items and either add up all of the watt ratings, and then divide by the voltage (115V or so) to get the amps - or if they all have amp ratings, just add them up. Your outlet is likely to be on a circuit rated at 12 - 16 amps. You need to ensure that ALL appliances connected to that circuit don't exceed the rated capacity (you can check your breaker or fuse box to confirm the rating). So much for the quick electrical lesson.

The problem(s) that you are experiencing could have one of several causes. Faulty switch(s), faulty grounding, poor electronics/filters in the power supply, sensitivity to RF, overloaded circuits, among others. (I would love to have BBIBH's help here!) One thing you can try is to find a separate power circuit to plug the sub (and or the receiver)into - so the initial electrical load (when you turn it on) happens on a different circuit. Actually the problems you are describing are pretty common, especially on some homes where the wiring is 14 gage as opposed to 12 gage.

One more suggestion - many electrical connectors have polarized spade plugs - even if they dont have a separate ground. If they don't have the polarized spade, try unplugging it, rotate 180 degrees and plug it back in.
This can often eliminate hum and spike noise.

Good luck - and let us know how it turns out.

Randyman