I'm upgrading my fronts for better music performance. I was all set to order the M3s (space prohibits M22s) until I read Doug Schneider's (SoundStage) M2 review (favoring the M2's characteristics to the M3's). I need help from those of you who have listened to them for a recommendation.

One of the Axiom salespersons told me that the M3 was very similar in sound to the Paradigm Studio 20. Upon auditioning the 20s, the highs were adequate but the mids were less detailed. Diana Krall's piano ("I Remember You") seemed recessed or subdued.

The store salesman swtiched from the 20s to the LINN KATAN ($1000), which is between the M2 & M3 in size & with the same asymmetrical cabinet design. The vocals were slightly forward, great imaging, very open, wide soundstage, bass was meager but tight and accurate, detail was exceptional (I could hear Krall open her mouth before singing). Since I'm not spending $1000 for bookshelves, I want to order the Axioms that best approximate these same qualities.

My fear about the M2s is that, as a small speaker, they might sound too constrained (I have no way of knowing). Although, the KATANs were eye opening about what a speaker this size can do. I don't want to order both and return one.

If I keep the Axioms, I would also add the VP150 center (to match the fronts) and an HSU VTF-2 sub.

Other parameters:
20X20 room, speakers are 14' from listener,
50/50 HT & music, HK AVR 525 (w/Bass Mgt.)
Music - Jazz, New Age, Pop, Classical
Volume - moderate or background levels,
Bass preference - accurate, not pronounced

I'm sorry that this is long. Thank you for your help.