Originally Posted By: Scamp
For example, I read a review for the DVD-A disk of the 1812 Overture. It warned of speakers not being able to handle the sudden volume change that accompanies the cannon fire. If I pair the M80's with a Denon 33xx/43xx receiver I won't have to worry about things like that correct?

Correct.

Using this calculator we see that at 100Db average volume with 10 Db of head room the M80s will use 198 W of power. Note this is using Axiom's in room response of 95 db to account for room gain. I believe that the 43ll you were looking at will deliver this quite easily into 4 Ohms.

Turn that down to a much more reasonable but still loud level of 85 db and you are using 6 watts.

Give yourself 20 Db of headroom that may be demanded by the most dynamic of classical recordings (like the 1812 Oveture??) and you are using a whopping 62 watts peak. That means your 4311 will have around 140 watts in reserve that you will never use unless you move your system into a much bigger room.

I don't know why people so happily ignore simple physics in their quest to spend thousands of dollars on amplification that, as John always points out, will not be used.

Last edited by fredk; 07/23/10 07:35 PM.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!