I think everyone has well covered the bases of the pluses and minuses of the PS3 vs. a stand-alone.

Another plus of the PS3, it is entirely software defined, so it isn't limited by the chips in it. It was one of the first BD players on the market. Yet, it has grown to be Profile 2.0 compatible (they added Java and network connectivity to it, something no stand-alone could accomplish). And now Sony is going to add BD 3D to it. So if you want a future-proof player it's good for that.

The new Slim models are virtually silent, especially when playing a movie. But they are odd shaped. If you want something which looks like a component, that isn't it. The new one also bitstreams, but I don't see that as an actual plus, just a box to be ticked.

People complain about the Blue Tooth remote. Sure it makes replacing it with a universal difficult (needs an IR to BT converter). But as remotes go, it's my favorite one to use. I don't need to point it anywhere. Just be within about 30 feet (even through walls) of the player and push the button, it'll respond. Of course there are UHF universals which allow you to do the same thing.

October will bring Netflix as a real application, rather than a Profile 2.0 Blu-ray disc. So things will work much smoother then. Although it's not bad now.

It really comes down to what you (or your family) want from a player.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris