As stated here a separates really only give you more power than a receiver can provide. The question is how much power do you need or want. Only you can answer that one.
However I think the rational for separates is it also adds flexibility. A good amp is a good amp, and if it has sufficient power it isn’t something you need to upgrade.
I think the initial advantage for separates is that you could upgrade your pre/pro as needed as new technologies come to market with out having to change your amp thus saving you money. However when one looks at the price of pre/pro’s on the market you will quickly learn that if you can manage with a receiver, it is much more cost effective than moving to separates.
I have a Rotel RSP1066 right now that is about 8 years old and it is time to upgrade, and I am stunned at the price of a new pre/pro. I could by an excellent high power receiver for less then the price of an entry level pre/pro.
My advice from someone who has separates, unless you need enormous amounts of power, get a good receiver and don’t look back.
paul

paul

Axiom M80, VP180, Qs8, EP500
Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990