I've had M22s and an Hsu STF-2, then M60s and STF-2, and am now w/o a sub awaiting my VTF-3R. The M22s/sub combo are very good. But good as they are, I liked my M60s+sub better. Properly calibrated, the sub added some low end punch and authority to music, without sounding artificial or abnormal. Removing the sub hurt the M60s more than I anticipated. They're not bad now, just lack some low end "grunt" I'd become accustomed to.

Now if the choice was between M22+sub vs M60 w/o sub, that's a tough one. To my ear on HT the M22+sub has a slight advantage. On music it's very close. Overall I'd very slightly favor the M60s, because after a later sub upgrade you have a better final package.

I like the nice detailed Axiom sound from the M60s. The punch is there if you want it, but you don't need loud levels to appreciate the music. I think the M60 + Hsu STF-2 combo is a low cost way to get both the detail and low-end HT punch. The only reason I sent the STF-2 back is my plans changed for a custom cabinet. No longer space constrained, I opted for the VTF-3R.