I'm looking at the endless options for putting together a good home theater system that will fill my current and future needs. It appears that heart surgery would be a simpler task!

I have been enjoying my NAD Monitor Series 1600 PreAmp and 2700 Power Amp with Paradigm 11 SE's since 1994. The NAD 2700 is THX certified.

I find the 11SE's have sloppy response when put againist current Paradigm Reference, B&W, and Polk Audio Speakers. I keep on being told that today's drivers use much better materials, which I guess I buy.

I also have the advantage of being able to take the drive up North and listening to the Axiom product and from reading would be interested in the Epic Grand Master System with perhaps the centre channel upgrade to the VP150.

So my hopes from the board are some suggestions:

Can my current NAD AMP fit into my system or should I sell it?

If I am going with separate processor and amp, what would you suggest for the processor and remaing channels? My weakness on this point is that I have access to great prices on Sony electronics and they have recently released the 5000ES and 9000ES Receiver units.

Our current Panasonic DVD-RP62 player was a mid grade model 2 years ago. What benefit and what should I plan to spend in order to stay away from a weak link in the chain scenario? Do I really need to spend $700 on a DVD player?

For speakers, we are currently in a modest apartment (700 sqf living room) but are planning to build next fall. We do not want a Screening room but would build media into our main and basement rooms which will be no larger than 1200 sqf each. House will be open concept and I want to take 'wire' each room for current and future tech. Given that, can I buy now for later, or should I buy for now and then buy again later?

Lengthy post. Hope the information is there for those willing. Thanks in advance.

Van G Out