Originally Posted By: Listener
How do you like the squeezebox touch? Can it do anything that an ipod touch can't? I assume you can control it with the squeezebox duet controller, is there also an ipod/ipad app for it?
The Squeezebox Touch is not a portable device -- it runs off a power supply plugged into the mains. It has RCA analog outs, as well as coax and optical digital outs. It can play up to 24-bit 96 kHz files and support many file formats, most notably FLAC. It can play the files from an external or internal server. External servers can run on PCs, NAS boxes, custom-built boxes, etc. The internal server requires that you connect a USB drive or insert an SD flash card. It can also stream Internet Radio and supports last.fm and Pandora, plus a lot of other geeky stuff via more plug-ins than you can shake a stick at.

It comes with its own remote which does not have a display like the Duet controller. Instead you rely on the Touch's display for visual feedback. The display is also touch controllable (hence the name) but that requires that you go up to it and poke it with your finger.

I have an Android phone with an app called SqueezeCommander that brings the Squeezebox display (with enhancements) to my phone and allows me to control it from there. Very nice and by far the best way to use the Squeezebox. There is a similar app for the iPhone/Pod/Pad called iPeng, I believe.

I chose this path because I do not like Apple products. However, a good friend of mine is an Apple fanboy and he does much the same kind of thing with iTunes on his Mac and iPhone, and an AirPort Express connected to his receiver.

Axiom M80s + QS8s + VP180 <-- Pioneer VSX-1120-K <-- Squeezebox Touch / XBox360 / Oppo BDP-93