I live in what seems to be an odd micro-climate (north side of the Oak Ridges Moraine) in the middle of nowhere, and haven't found a city/location on weathernetwork or any other site that has weather even vaguely similar to what I get here.

After I started taking flying lessons I went onto the Environment Canada site and found very good weather maps that (combined with ground school lessons) gave a good picture of expected weather pretty much anywhere, but (a) I gradually forgot the ground school lessons, and (b) one day I forgot which buttons to press on the EC web site and that was pretty much the end of my ability to anticipate the local weather.

Now I look out the window like everyone else.

For anyone concerned about my apparent lack of retention re: flying and ground school lessons, don't worry , I didn't actually get my pilots license. I was OK with spins but stalls pushed all my panic buttons (fear of heights and love of flying have to collide somewhere) and I decided that it would be safer for everyone if I wasn't sitting in the left seat.

A number of people suggested that the problem was actually a result of flying with a yoke rather than a stick, and one day I have to see if that is actually the case. I figure if I give the instructor a stun-gun and pre-approval to use it if necessary it should be relatively safe for both of us.

Last edited by bridgman; 12/11/10 05:10 AM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8