Originally Posted By: PhillipD
Yes I was just happy to find some information on the 4 ohm ratings, I do know that some 4 ohm speakers do dip down below that rating but as stated there is little information out there on this. Anyone know how low the M80's dip to or if they dip at all? I really guess that this means I do not have to purchase another toy for my HT in the lines of a secondary amp then if I get the M80's.

Would there be a benifit to even adding a Emotiva UPA 7 rated at 185w/4 ohms which is rated lower than the 2700 anyway? I could see adding a XPA-2 for 2 ch stereo at 500W/4ohms..correct?

My room is not overly large in at 2300 cubic feet so the M80's will be more than enough for that size rooom and I will not be able to have them running at mind bending levels in that samll of a space.

Thanks for the input
Phil

I have an LPA-1 which is the precursor to the UPA-7. For channels 1-5, they're the same thing. I bought it because my old Pioneer Elite (VSX-43TX, 2002) really did have issues driving my M80V2's. At high volume, it would start to clip. It's quite audible. The LPA-1 does a fine job driving the M80's. I can turn it up as loud as my ears can stand without any audible nasties. I've had it for almost 3 years now, still works perfectly. So for me, there definitely was a benefit to adding the amp.

Give the Yamaha a thorough chance. Crank it up. If you get to a point where it's not loud enough for you and the sound quality starts to degrade (or the Yamaha shuts down), then go buy an amp. Personally, I'd go with the XPA-2 driving the M80's and let the Yamaha do the other channels. But that's just me.

Oh, and regarding the M80's impedance. There was a bit of a fracas a couple of years ago between Emotiva & Axiom (fans) over this very topic. A couple of our more well-known board members here had problems with some of Emotiva's high-end amps and their M80's (not sure if they were Ti's or V2's). If my memory serves, Emotiva and a few trollish posters claimed that the M80's crossover design was suspect and had a bad impedance dip down to near 2-ohms at low frequencies. Axiom supporters (I don't think Axiom directly) claimed that Emotiva wasn't telling the whole truth about their amps specs, since many mass-market AVR's and other amps had no trouble with M80's. A bit of tit-for-tat ensued, both here and over on Emo's discussion board. AFAIK, it all ended amicably with the affected persons getting full refunds.

But, IMHO, it's left a bit of bad blood between some Axiom and Emotiva supporters. At least, that's the impression I get from participating here and on Emotiva's forum.

It's a moot point now anyway. Axiom has made changes to the M80 crossover's since this happened (the V3, if not the V2). And Emotiva has discontinued the line of questionable amps (MPS-1).

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office