as i said in my first post, i will write some updates, once in a while, about the M80 sound.

i just listened to a CD which i had not played for quite a bit of time and which, if one wants good uncompressed reproduction from it, one better have speakers that can take lots of power and a good amp because the last minutes of the piece are a real blast, hitting you with everything the orchestra has.

the piece is Ravel's Bolero, with the MSO, Charles Dutoît, on Decca, a digital recording.

the sound was crystal clear from beginning to end, with no audible distortion and/or compression anytime during the whole piece, even though the end was overpowering in it's effect. (played at "live" levels)

when i had listened to it on my Energy 22 Ref., i could hear a bit of compression near the end, and so a bit of distortion too; the Energy's were pushed to the limit of their capacity.

i used to have an oscilloscope to check what was happening on my sound system; extrapolating from my notes re. playing this piece on the Energy speakers, i can estimate that the amp was now giving about 475-500 peak Watts to the M80s, maybe less, but not my much.
had my amp not been able to produce that much power, the peaks would have been clipped and there would have been some distortion.

i was so impressed by the quality of the reproduction with the M80s that many times during the audition i had tears in my eyes.

very impressive indeed!

Last edited by J. Bellemare; 01/28/11 08:26 PM.