I'm in the framing stage of my basement remodel / HT project. On a suggestion from a relative I opened up the back wall (instead of having just a door) between the main HT room and where I will be having a small bar. I like the look and feel that it is adding but it screwed up mounting options for a pair of rear surrounds (for 7.1).

Checkout the floorplan here.

I screwed a couple of boxes to the wall where I'm thinking about putting the rear surrounds. So use your imagination while you are laughing.
Example 1
Example 2
Example 3

My dilemma is, what speaker should I plan for and how would I mount it? I have a pair of QS4's that I have been using for side surrounds. I'm looking for a reason to upgrade to QS8's since this room is decent sized but most say direct radiating speakers are preferred for the rear surrounds. So considering that I think I'm left with M2's but I'm not sure how well those would mount up there near the ceiling. I guess I could always look at ceiling mounted speakers but that's not the best performing solution. So I'm looking for some feedback.