Having some monoblocks around would be very handy, I think.

I was going to ask for advice on what amplification I should have around as a backup for the next time I run into a failure (and it would also serve to handle the heights and wides whenever I get a pre-pro that can do those), but after looking at some options, it seemed like the best thing to do would be to go with a receiver with preouts at this point. I'll lose my precious balanced connections for now, but I've been lusting after some of the more recent receiver features, and when the pre-pro I really want finally arrives, I can pass this temporary receiver on to my parents, who are using my last crappy low-end model.

Soooo... I went with an Onkyo TX-NR708. It seemed to hit my sweet spot for price and features, so I should get that tomorrow. I also ordered multichannel audio interconnects from Blue Jeans Cable to go from the receiver's preouts to my amp whenever I get my amp back from Axiom. I haven't sent it yet, as they're shipping me a box, since I no longer have the original packaging. I have to say that once again I'm very happy with Axiom's customer service. While the hiccups are disappointing, they're making sure I'm taken care of.

Speaking of Onkyo receivers, you've probably seen the news about the TX-NR609. What's the deal with the 4K upscaling? While it's something I would love, how many displays are actually able to run at that resolution?