In reply to:

but I don't think he thinks they're without any worth.

Raindance,
This is a quote from Alan that can be found in the last Axiom newsletter. It is in regard to the "auto EQ" features currently found on some Yamaha, Pioneer, and (very soon) Denon receivers.

"(Editorial note: Although I didn't receive a demo of the AVR-3805, it's worth noting that doing accurate measurements of listening-room frequency response aberrations is extremely complex, and correcting for room response errors using 8 bands of parametric digital EQ is essentially impossible. At worst, such digital auto-correction schemes have the potential of making good speakers sound bad by "correcting" the frequency response of an otherwise neutral, linear well-designed speaker. Users may mistakenly interpret small level increases introduced by the auto-EQ system as sounding "better," a common result of uncontrolled listening. I would advise enthusiasts to take these auto-EQ systems with a liberal dose of salt, and not base purchasing decisions on this particular feature.)"

While he doesn't use the word "worthless" or the phrase "without any worth" it sure seems that he has no use for them and seems to be warning people that these EQ features could/will do more harm than good because, according to Alan, "correcting for room response errors using 8 bands of parametric digital EQ is essentially impossible". It sound to me like he has a preconcieved notion of the EQ features and is writting them off without having given them (Yamaha, Pioneer,Denon) a proper listen. I would say to anyone who is considering one of these receivers, don't scratch them from the list until you've auditioned one.

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.