Originally Posted By: bluray
I suppose anyone with an EP 500, 600 or 800 could chime in with advice please. I have my pre pro bass management settings as follows:
-All speakers set to small
-M80s and VP 180 at 60 Hz
-M22s at 80 Hz
My question comes from varying guidance on the setting for the physical crossover knob on the sub itself. Even the user manual does not make perfect sense to me:
"If you are using the Bass Management crossover menu settings in your A/V receiver or processor, turn the subwoofer crossover control to the setting at or just above the highest crossover point you selected on your A/V receiver menu, i.e. for a 90-Hz or higher receiver menu setting, use the 150-Hz setting."(why not 100?) "For 70 – 80 Hz on the A/V receiver’s menu, use 80 Hz on the sub, and so on." This would tell me that in my case, set it at 80. I know one school of thought, however, is that when using bass management in the pre pro or receiver, the sub's crossover control should be at the highest setting (150 in the case of the EP 800). The "average" of these two recommendations is the 100 setting -- maybe that's the answer for me! Is this where the discussions of "roll off" and "smooth integration" come into play? I trust your collective experience more than my not-so-golden ears? Any thoughts (scientific or otherwise)?

i know this is slightly off track but how do you like your front 3 crossed over at 60hz? i have the same front 3 but crossed over at 40hz and love it. just curious...

SonySXRD55"
Marantz AV7702MKII pre-amp
Emotiva XPA-5,UPA-2amps,
14 Speakers, All Axiom
Oppo 105D&93