Originally Posted By: Zak
I was watching a DVD movie last night at moderate levels when I noticed a strange clipping noise coming from the right side of the room.
At first I thought it was part of the movie, but then I quickly realized that it was actually the EP500 creating these strange clipping noises!

I immediately stopped the movie and I could clearly hear a loud buzzing sound coming from the EP500.
I turned the sub switch to "off" and I removed the line-in cable from the back of EP500.
I waited a few seconds and then I turned the sub switch back to "on".
The EP500 made a loud pop,the green light turned off, and I could smell something burning.
I turned the sub switch "off" and I unplugged the unit for 15 minutes but it will no longer power on. frown

Do you think this could be a fuse issue?
Is the amp fried?

This is an EP500 v2 unit that I purchased new in February of 2008.
The unit has had no problems up until now.

I'm going to call Axiom now but I was just reading a post about these new "digital" replacement amps for these units.
Can someone shed some light on these new amps?

Thanks,
Zak

Buzzing followed by popping, electrical burning smell and no power to power to unit all points to the amp frying because of some defect. Its done. You might have blew the fuse on the unit as well for its own protection so make sure to check that too. But first you will need a new amp so call Axiom and talk to their support staff and also inquire about the correct fuse if you need one. Leave the sub unplugged from the electrical outlet in the meantime.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne