I've been thinking that one of the things I'd like to do, if I ever lost my job, is sit at home and trade stocks. I've spent about 10 years or so, buying and reading books on the subject, and trading with a small account. Because of the job, I've really never had the time to make this work for me. I usually end up loosing more money than I make. The job always seems to interfere. (Yeah, blame it on the job.) Anyway, at least, I've lost most of the fear and greed factor that cause beginner traders to lose money. At least, that's one plus. I just need to master a technique, which none of the books are very good about teaching. I know how easy it is for a day trader to blow out and fail, but I've never been one to quit just because it's too hard.

There's one on-line help that, to me, seems to be worth a good look. He goes by the name of DayTraderRockStar, with a lot of youtube videos and a website called daytradingradio.com. This seems to be a good set of instruction so far.

So, that leaves me with wanting to start refurbishing one of my spare bedrooms as a trading room, so when the inevitable happens, I'll be ready. The first thing I need to do is empty it. It's been a store room of junk and good stuff. Craig's list and the trash ought to take care of most of that. Then rip out some built in shelves and drawers, because I want some built in shelves in walnut, not some blond drawers and a mirror. After that, some tables/desks and some fairly cheep computers with some decent sized multiple monitors each. I don't think I need much horsepower just for some charting and trading software. The biggest expense would probably be the monitors.

Anybody have any experience in the minimum (read cheapest) usable equipment needed for a trading room?

Just looking on Newegg today, I found this video card that has 4 display ports and 2 dvi. I'm assuming that this will support 6 monitors running at the same time. Does this sound right?

Perhaps this would be a better card? Here's a youtube discription of it.

Last edited by CatBrat; 05/05/11 03:41 AM.