The 3 speakers I have in my 14x14 gameroom are Axioms M3 ($275), Monitor Audio's Bronze 2 ($400 + tax), and JBL E30 ($200 + tax). The jury is still out as to which speakers will get to stay, but it's down to the Axioms and the Bronzes. The JBLs are still involved in the listening tests, but only as stands for the other two speakers.

The JBLs had that bloated, boomy bass that made me feel like I'd eaten too much spaghetti and had too many beers - so they're out.

The Axioms and MAs sound similar much of the time, but depending on the recording one or the other usually has the edge. The MAs are WAY louder than the M3s, but a few clicks up on the volume knob and problem solved.

When the M3s sound better - like on Al Dimeola's "Kiss My Axe" track #2 or on Devil in a Woodpile's self titled CD - they sound very vibrant and alive while the MAs sound a wee bit chesty and flat. For example, a banjo on the Devil in a Woodpile CD sounds very distant on the MAs, but quite present on the M3s. Not that the Bronzes ever sound bad at all, just not quite as sweet as the M3s.

When the Bronzes sound better - like on Joe Satriani's "Strange Beautiful Music" or Luciano's "Great Controversey" (an incredibly "hot-mastered" newer reggae recording) - the Axioms are a bit too harsh on the top end. With the M3s, Satriani's "wa-wa" effects are largely lost to the cutting edge of the guitar. The hot reggae recording is just plain painful on the M3s (my M60s with sub handle it just fine, however).

Classical is great on either. I listened to some Bach harpsichord concerti (concertos?) and a nicely recorded disc of Handel favorites. The two speakers sound very similar and both excellent.

The Bronzes have more bass than the M3s, but not as much as the Monitor Audio Silver 2s ($750). I made the saleslady move the Bronzes into the same room as the Silvers the day I bought them. IMO the Bronzes are every bit their equal, but without the floppy, incongruous bass of the Silver 2s. Axioms M3s, of course, also have tight wonderful bass.

I'm not sure which speakers are going to stay, but I would be happy with either (having solved the acoustic problems in the square, hard room).

Just my 2 cents regarding something on topic (as opposed to beer, politics, etc...).