I've heard of Quiet Rock and have seen the batting before. The batting that you linked to would run me $470 plus shipping just for the ceiling alone and that is for the cheaper stuff. Yikes!

Quiet rock seems decent, but they also brag about their "Orange Glue" as I would call it. Their version of Green Glue. I didn't price it up yet.

I was also reading things like if you double up on the drywall, to use different thicknesses (1/2" for one layer, 5/8" for the next) to get different resonant frequency control. I also read someone using a layer of plywood or OSB first and then drywall to allow the screws to be where they wanted, but that is the first time I read that.

I was also looking at resilient channel again, and it seems like it does a decent job since it is decoupling a lot, but it isn't a trivial cost either.

I'm not expecting cheap, but I am just trying to be smart with my dollars.

I am seeing a lot of people doing staggered stud walls with batting in the cavities and DD + GG on the inside. I think that will work great for the walls. The ceiling may be another challenge without getting crazy on the price. A good number of the cavities have ductwork (another issue in itself) or electrical running perpendicular to the trusses. Can't build a room within a room by adding new trusses inbetween the existing (plus that is costly), resilient channel seems pricy to add on top of DD + GG..

I wonder if just the insulation, DD (double drywall) and GG (Green Glue) will be good enough for the rare times that someone is watching a movie and the person upstairs is trying to sleep.

In my last theater, I just has a single layer of drywall, nothing else...

Farewell - June 4, 2020