I did try the sub in the left corner for about 1 week, but the sound wasn't good, it was boomy and sometimes exaggerated, it did not sound natural.
It is now about one third of the way from the side wall and about 15 inches from the back wall, measured from driver center.

With Audyssey calibr., the transition from sub to Fronts is seamless and the sound is very natural and convincing.

When i had the sub in the corner, playing Master & Commander, the cannon shots were very impressive: one big loud boom; now they're very convincing for their realism, despite the fact that those cannons are not as loud as before.
The feeling now is "i'm there for real"; there's lots of detail where before it was just a big boom with no specific character to the sound.

As i said above, the speakers and the room simply disappear (with a good quality source).

What surprised me the most was the fact that, in spite of my having only a 4.1 system (no Heights or Wides), when in the lower deck of the ship (in M & C), some sounds did seem to come from above, on the upper deck. maybe this is because the only surface where there is no sound treatment is on the ceiling, or maybe it's just psycho-acoustics.

This is more than you asked, but i sometimes do that when i'm feverish... and this new system makes me feverish. ;-)