1. Maybe, and I quote "maybe" they are just trying to avoid the lower bandwidth capabilities of some wireless systems. Uncompressed video is HUGE and even compressed video can stress out some older wireless systems. This would also fit into your "speaking to the lowest common user denominator" theory.

2. While faster is always better, you have to ask yourself, what will you be using that will create such big bandwidth. I routinely run into businesses that run gigabit to all the desktops and would never come close to even 100 Mb/sec. Then, of course, there are those that I have to argue with to convince them to upgrade.

In short, I would grab some freeware for testing bandwidth (sorry, I have our corporate stuff so I'm not familiar with a good freeware one.) do some video streaming, data transfers, etc. and see what you are pushing. If you are pushing 80 Mb/sec or more while stressing things out, then an upgrade might be in order. Assuming whatever you do to stress the network is something that happens often.

or..................
Just go with MORE POWER !!!!!!! It just feels better knowing its there.

I know almost nothing about them but seem to get along fine without them.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.