Originally Posted By: guillermo123
Hello all:

In an effort to "babyproof" our house for a newly crawling 8-month old, I was curious if it possible to place my M22 speakers horizontally (i.e., on their sides) instead of upright on a speaker stand. Will this in anyway damage the speaker? Is this going to distort the sound significantly?

We're looking for ways to prevent our baby from pulling a 16lb speaker onto her head (please withhold my "Parent of the Year" award). If the horizontal placement isn't advised, then I'm thinking about getting a pair of M3s that could sit on top of the media cabinet we have under our TV. Is the Axiom trade-in program still in effect (i.e., trade in the M22s for M3s) or is my best bet to sell them on the auction site?

Thanks for the help,
William

It will in no way damage or distort the speaker. However horizontal placement will be very detrimental to the dispersion characteristics of the loudspeaker. The driver complement and crossover together are optimized to have the speaker orientated vertically. Placing the speaker horizontally on the stands will change the horizontal and vertical dispersion of the speaker and it will be much more prone to lobing at different seating positions around the room due to that type of placement.

So in summary you can do it and it will in no way harm the speaker or the electronics but it just won't sound nearly as good as having them both placed vertically on the stands.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne