chesseroo,

Backing up a bit to your previous comment about using optical for HT and analog for CD from your DVD player. I do just that from my Sony DVD player. I have the analog outputs going into my CD inputs in my receiver and the optical/digital imputs into my DVD input on my receiver. That way I can switch back and forth between the CD and DVD even when just playing music. THis is how I discovered the lack of "output" to the tape recording output jacks when using the optical input from the DVD player. i.e. if I want to record a cassette tape from from a CD, I have to use the analog (CD) input to my receiver. If I switch over to the optical (DVD) input on my receiver, there is no signal going to the tape outputs so I cannot record to the cassette!

No big deal (considering the fidelity of cassette) but just a curosity. I think you should try a similar hook up (providing you have standard analog audio outputs on your DVD player - and you should!
If you don't have separate DVD and CD inputs on your Onkyo - try the "aux" input!

Give it a look and see if you can.

Randyman