Hi,
Telarc Jazz--
"Celebrating 25 Years: The Jazz Collection" (Telarc 2CD-8356). This two-disc (for the price of one) is a good deal. Telarc's recording standards are (mostly) at a high level, and this 2-disc set mixes a variety of artists so you don't get bored.

The album has some of the best-recorded piano, acoustic and electric bass sound I've ever heard, as well as excellent percussion.

Check out the bass and percussion on Disc two, cut 6 (Jacques Loussier Trio) and the amazing close-miked piano of Benny Green who has, to understate matters, a firm touch. It sounds amazing on the M80ti's!

Ahmad Jamal (cut 2) is excellent, as are some of the vocals from Kevin Mahogany and John Pizzarelli. One cut is disappointing: the brass sounds on Mel Torme's vocal of "I'm gonna go fishin'" are quite harsh and edgy. Makes me wonder what went wrong--were the mikes too close to the instruments? That's what it sounds like.

From an audio standpoint, you can pick out the great recordings from the just average because the 25 tracks are drawn from a variety of different recordings.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)