Originally Posted By: INANE
If you've watched Firefly and don't think he's an amazing talent then there's no hope for you.

Firefly was my first real exposure to Whedon (besides the original Toy Story), so it's the reason I disliked him so much. I just kept hearing how he wrote such amazing characters and clever dialogue, and I didn't find any of the characters in that show all that deep or wonderful. And then I heard a lot of how he writes female characters so well, how they're so strong and independent, but when I watch his stuff, it still seems like a guy writing about women. Also regarding Firefly, people seemed to love the whole western-in-space aspect of it. They loved the meshing of the two genres. I guess they forgot George Lucas already did it in Star Wars, only he didn't beat us over the head with it quite as much. Anyway, it was just the wrong thing to be exposed to first, after hearing people talk him up so much. Despite having reservations about several aspects of the show, my appreciation for him did go up after watching Buffy. So, Mark, it wasn't fruitless having me watch it. And I'll admit that Dollhouse won me over, especially in the second season. I liked where he took the concept.