I've been building and maintaining computers for friends and family now for over 10 years. In that time the number one component i've seen fail is actually power supplies.
Second to that, hard drives and third i would say is memory sticks.

This past year a friend's build worked for about 10 months before his first OCZ Vertex 2 SSD died. The replacement identical unit died about 6 months later (this past March). I since had him buy a Corsair (just to change the brand), however my own OCZ Vertex 2 was bought before his original one and mine is still going just fine.
In my experience (although limited to say a place like Dell) i don't believe the SSDs have failed anymore than a HDD, but the HDD do have moving parts which makes them more susceptible to failure because of that aspect.

From what i've seen when a SSD starts to die; typical symptoms have been OS lockups, especially and more frequently during startup and eventually to the point where the BIOS reports no formatted disc or no bootable disc is found.
Moving that SSD to a working system would usually do nothing which is to say you would not even see the failing drive in Win Explorer if it is that damaged.

Most warranties are good for 3 to 5 years on these though and most companies are good about replacing the drive with the same IMO.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."