Hi kayizm et al,

Since I answered your problem by email, kayizm, and Johnk correctly diagnosed your troubles here, I'm posting my response to you for the benefit of others.

Incidentally, thanks, Johnk, for pointing out the nonsense inherent in biwiring and the dubious benefits of bi-amping, at least in most consumer installations.

My email reply to kayzim follows:

"On the the M60ti's rear-panel speaker connectors, there are two gold straps linking the two pairs of gold-plated binding posts. Be sure the knurled knobs are tightened on all four binding posts not only to the speaker cables but to the two gold straps. Those link the midrange/tweeter drivers with the woofers. It doesn't matter whether you connect the speaker cables to the upper or lower pair of connectors as long as the gold straps are securely in place.

What happened was the straps were out of place and you had connected the speaker cables to just the woofer section of the M60ti's, so of course they sounded muffled!

Unfortunately, biwiring is a British fad that migrated to Canadian and US speaker manufacturers about a decade or so ago. It provides no audible benefits whatsoever, nor does it make sense in terms of basic laws of physics. This is why you encountered difficulty--because these two sets of binding posts (for marketing/consumer reasons) are on the rear of your speaker and the gold straps became dislodged.

I regret you had any problems. Please make sure the two gold straps linking the upper and lower sets of terminals are securely in place!

Hope you enjoy your new M60ti's!"

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)