Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Getting back to Dire Straits, though, Private Investigations sounds amazing played as loud as you can handle it. On Axioms, you can hear a bit of the tape hiss, but it doesn't detract from the clarity and power of the track. I'm particularly fond of the section starting around 4 minutes in.

love the dire straits. I will take this recommendation and try it. I might not get a chance until Wednesday though. Looking forward to it. I also have the Dire Straits - Alchemy blu ray, though i haven't tested it out yet.

exlab: No haven't really figured it out. Only happens on some blu rays. Since I can't recreate any distortion on any cd whatsoever yet, I'm chalking it up to a flaw on the blu ray or a problem with my ps3(whether i bitstream it or linear pcm it, doesn't make a difference).

For anyone interested:

I get noticeable distortion at -25 or louder on my pioneer sc-61 on two notable blu rays:

Inception: At the very beginning where all the logos are coming up before the movie even starts. Some orchestra music starts and gets louder and louder until finally you hear and see the waves of the ocean crashing around. Right at the height of the orchestra music is this nasty buzz/distortion out of the tweeters of my mains...and more so on the right.

The Dark Knight Rises: The first scene with the airplane abduction. Again, it's the orchestra music that does it. When it reaches it's loudest point with the loud drums(roughly, right when they start rappelling down on wires shooting everyone at the bottom). That sounds nasty to my ear too.

I dunno, maybe someone can recreate it, but I doubt it. So then I'm thinking it's my ps3. it's not my receiver. Last month I just bought a brand new marantz sr5007 and it did it on that too. Returned it for other reasons and now I have a Pionner sc-61.

2 Axiom M80s v3-custom
1 Axiom VP160 v3-custom
2 Axiom QS10HP
2 Cerwin Vega CMX 12's
Pioneer SC-57