Yes, I use only the 1522, with no separate preamp or amp., and further with no biamping. My 1522 drives its maximum 9 speakers. However, I cannot tell you for sure whether the 1522 has sufficient power, for this, since I haven't done tests that would show distortions, if there are any. I don't hear distortions. And the 1522 sounds better to me, just judging it subjectively, than the Onkyo I had previously driving the same speakers. One thing it sounds better at is playing very soft background music accompanying dialog. I believe, before I got the 1522, I just was not noticing the presence of this soft music at all.

I don't at all agree with what JohnK says in the above posting. When an amplifier has insufficient power, the distorted sound can be very loud and painful to listen to. So, the fact that an amplifier can produce sounds that are painfully loud does not at all show that it is powerful enough to do its job of producing sweet melodious music. In any event, I don't play my AVR at high volumes. I just have no interest in doing that.

Greg
VP180, M80s, M22s, QS8(4), CSW S305s, EP500, Pioneer VSX-90
M2i, M3(2), Pio vsx-1020