Giant is the largest maker of bikes in the world, if I recall. I test road a few of their bikes a few years ago, including one very similar to the Roam 3 you're looking at, and liked it/them. Take one for a test ride at your dealer and see how it rides. Generally, the price goes up with the quality of parts as you'll find out. A lock-out on front shocks can be a nice feature to have if you're riding on smooth surfaces...it will negate any "bobbing" effect you 'could' have with hard pedaling. Actually, if you're sticking to good cycling paths, you probably don't need shocks. Avoid those "rotary" handle style gear changers and look for a finger/thumb triggered rapid shifter, they work better. Make sure you get the bike set up properly for you at the outfitter, it's kind of like buying clothing, it has to fit you comfortably. Not only does the seat height and handlebars need to be right but so do the handlebar stem length and brake locations. The dealer will set this up for you.

Check that bike out, I'm sure you'll like it. Have fun and ride a few bikes before you make you're decision.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.