Originally Posted By: michael_d
I am using M80's for surround speakers in my great room. The fronts are Opus 2.2's. I can't run a center channel in this room, as the TV is over the fireplace. When listening to music, I use the 5.1 channel stereo option the receiver has. The M80's as surround speakers work surprisingly well. More so than I thought they would. But, it should be noted that they are about 16' away from the main listening position. If they were less than about 10' away, I don't think they would work for surround speakers all that great. Sometimes you do not want to know exactly where the sound is coming from behind you.

So I guess what I'm suggestions, is to NOT use any sort of direct radiating speaker for the surround or rear surround, unless you have plenty of distance between the speaker and your listening position. If you do have the distance, go for it.

like I said in a post earlier; different situations such as room size avr's or amps and m80 version all have an impact on results

I agree with what you said, re; NOT use any sort of direct radiating speaker for the surround or rear surround, unless you have plenty of distance between the speaker and your listening position. If you do have the distance, go for it.

I have yielded the same results and conclusions

7.1.4 * MRX1120 * M100s * 180HP * 4x M3-on walls * 4x M3-IC * dual XV15se * Shakers