I've had my M80's since the v3's came out. They are powered by a Denon 55w per channel receiver. At times I worry about possible distortion and resultant speaker damage at certain peak levels so I want to upgrade to a more powerful receiver or amp to protect my speakers.

I have read about the benefits of having sufficient power and reserve power for peaks in these threads. I do not listen at reference levels, and my listening is strictly classical, but I do listen with sufficient volume that allows me to hear the full spectrum of the instruments in an orchestra.

If I upgraded, say to a 125w per channel receiver (e.g. Denon's X-4000 or X-3000 or the like) would I hear more detailed and quality sound from the M80's at a level a notch or two less than reference than from a 55w receiver? If so could I get a similar result with less power than 125w? (I have a sub with its own power supply). Or would the obverse be necessary? My goal is quality and detailed sound from the M80's.

From what I can determine from my reading I am thinking anywhere from 90w to 125w per channel should be sufficient. Thanks for your comments. Happy New Year.