I will reread the websites posted.
Without the T bar I have about 7'8" to work with.
I do wonder about the T bars ability to act somewhat like the channel and clips. I accept that there's no mass there but it should isolate the floor joist from transferring sound through the T bar because they're not connected.
I'll be taking back the 5" Roxul today.
The Safe and sound is 3" (R12 x 2?) and would allow me two air gaps, 3 if you count the gap between the T bar and floor joist.
I think this is the best I'll get.
The room next to it has a 7'6" ceiling measured from the bottom of the bar. Every inch is going to count.
We met up last night after my last post and decided to build the 2nd wall in the adjoining room. The drywall will get removed from both sides, both walls will be insulated with and air gap between them.
We confirmed that the two heat ducts that are for this room will be replaced with the insulated accordion style.
I'll get on the green glue, I'll need it for the shared walls.
Just curious, it would seem the insulation in the exterior walls is around R12, the room is cold most of the time. Would adding the second layer of drywall add any R Value?
Again I have considered removing the drywall and re insulating. I am a little scared of where this is heading though.
Better pay down my CC now.

Last edited by brwsaw; 01/21/14 03:27 PM.