There are no definitive answers to any question that is asked. I get that as quite often questions are about opinions that are subjective at best.

I am buying a set of M80s and a VP180 center channel speaker. For a little bit more I can pick up a QS4 and live with that for surround. I know someone is going to say, "but the QS8 is just a few dollars more than the QS4". You are correct, but its that few extra dollars that I don't have right now. If I buy the QS4 right now, and can get the 5% savings, I can just squeak it in.

Do you sacrifice getting any speakers so you can't listen to anything so you can get get a better set of surround speakers? Do you sacrifice getting a workable surround setup that you might simply enjoy as is, for the chance that a bigger speaker you can afford some time in the future might sound better? I hear it all the time to try what you have got, and if you find it lacking then look to upgrade.

But I know my end goal is to have that 7.1 movie room at home. Financially I know it is going to be a few years before I can get the sub that I want. At that time I will probably upgrade to the 7.1 side and get the extra two surround speakers. My question then makes sense as I would have a set of QS4s and would be looking to add a second set.. so would it be better to sick with a second set of QS4s or get the bigger brother and swap the QS4s position to being surround rear rather than surround (main).

exlabdriver has said from his real world experiance that it is very hard to tell the difference between the two, then the the option of getting either speakers is there.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5