Since dvd-a, sacd, dvd-rw, and dvd+rw are all being tossed around as the next 'vhs or beta' formats, i never went looking for these options in the dvd player. Until a format is settled there is no point trying to buy more expensive players to gamble on these technologies sticking around.
If i were looking just for players that had those options, my number of selections would have been cut down.

Besides, with only a couple of hundred dollars for a new player with set formats in 2 or 3 years, i think this new Panasonic can manage until then. After all it is my first dvd and my 'tastes' for preferences have yet to really be figured out.

As for the golden ears, you can thank my fiance for a chunk of that. Her hearing perception is far better than mine thanks to her early years of voice lessons, piano and ballet. That is something to keep in mind once i finish off the next review of the QS8s vs. the M22s as surrounds. We both did the listening tests and she scored more accurately than i did.
But more on that soon.

And yes, one of our criteria for buying units/speakers was also design looks. That is why we never bought a single black speaker and other than the dvd and receiver, everything else in the room sticks with the wood look. (pics comin soon)

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."