Originally Posted By: Socketman
Thanks for chiming in. Sadly ( or maybe not) most people aren't EE's and that what I was pointing out. I am not an EE but but I have a decent handle how these things work. Something to pontificate: If class D was all that, why don't the big makers like Denon et al go that route. Imagine the saving on shipping Millions of receivers across the pond if you could cut their weight by half. This could lead us down a dark road on the subject of all amps sound the same so lets no go there.:) As I said before I look forward to your impressions and opinions .

Richard

Richard, No doubt the power supplies are on the light side. It's designed in a way so if my wife found out I spend more money on audio equipments she is able to pick it up and throw at me eek

Seriously though, pro audio gears are designed to be on the go hence they often try to be as light as possible. Maybe that's why XLS series carry 0.5% or <0.5% THD. It's a compromise that the designer is willing to take. Again, that's my guess. If one ask me if XLS is the best thing since slice bread, that would be a no. I still own big heavy monoblocks and I don't think they are leaving my house soon. But it's pretty impressive to see that much power being pack into 1U height that weights 11lbs with frequency response of 20 Hz to 20 kHz): +0 dB, –1 dB @1W yet has 103dB SNR. I think they couldn't done it at this price point without going the IC approach. It retail so little five sets cost me lesser than one of my used Parasound A21 smile I admit, it feels good to be cheap sometimes lol.

-Howard