Rich:

DEQ is a very sophisticated software feature based on years of human hearing research that is something like the old, crude 'Loudness' button - remember those?, ha!

The way that I understand it, the content of movie mixes & Audyssesy Compensation is based wholly on Reference Level, ie, 0 Db. Well I (& many others) cannot run 0 Db MV level in my room because it is just too loud. Hence, as you decrease the MV level, DEQ ON gently increases the Bass & Treble output to maintain the apparent balance level with the mid ranges in accordance with human hearing curves as SPLs decrease. So at my -10 Db MV Level with the RLO at 0 (max aggressiveness) I'm getting a slight bass & treble boost to maintain frequency balance across the freq spectrum in accordance with human hearing curves. At 0 Db MV Levels, DEQ ON supposedly bows out & does nothing & it runs just the calibrated Audyssey room compensation.

Whew - I hope that this is all correct, ha!

Anyway, with DEQ ON at RLO of 0 (Denon's setting) at -10 Db MV, it sounds better (fuller?) in my system but evidently not in some others out there. As with anything to do with speakers, it is all personal taste. Sonnie at HTS really likes it in his setup.

I don't use my HT system for music very often; however, I would probably turn DEQ OFF, but I'll have to experiment with this now as I run Concert DVDs/Blu Rays at about -20 MV...

TAM

Last edited by exlabdriver; 06/11/14 04:54 PM.