Using logic, I kinda figured this out over 20 years ago & I went with bookshelfs & subs ever since. I never saw the reason to have towers when the bottom end is more effectively handled by decent subs. Then with the advent of AVRs where crossover filters can be set & are often recommended to be set at 80 Hz, what is the point of having all of those expensive woofers in the towers? They are hardly working as most of the bass is filtered out & IMO, a waste.

I have what I believe to be a great HT compromise - large bookselfs (M22s) perched on its own sub. Unlike most, I cross them at 60 Hz as they are very capable down to that freq. In fact Audyssey hears them at 40 Hz in my room.

If you want to see what bass content is mixed into movie soundtracks, check out what the bassheads (I'm not one) have measured over the past while to see what you & I are missing. There are over 500 pages so it might be wise to start on the last page & work back:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoo...ncy-charts.html

IMO, if you can't get down to ~20 Hz or so, you are probably missing out some dynamic content in movies...

TAM