I just linked one source of review (and yes, some opinion) but there is just as much other sources of this perspective as there is the other touting how cool the new TVs are. But if you use the argument that what I posted is "found on the internet" and therefor can't be true, then I guess that everything on the internet is false, including this post that I am making and everything else here.

Even reliable sources at AVS (wow, you don't hear that very often) say that the curve does absolutely nothing to aid in the picture and it is a gimmick marketing tool only.

The curves aren't as extreme as a globe, so that isn't a great analogy, but I understand what you are saying. I never said that it was great distortion like curving around a globe, but many sources talk about distortion. I mean, how do you take an image that is filmed flat and designed for a flat screen and curve it without distortion? Unless the screen not only curves, but also tapers as you move from the middle towards the edge, there is no real way to not distort the image. If the TV 32" tall in the middle, it is also 32" tall on each of the ends. The only way to account for the curve bringing the image closer is to actually reduce the left and right edge from the 32" in the middle down to something like 30" - 31" or something (probably actually less than 1") depending on the degree of curve. Until the TVs also taper towards the edges, you will see distortion when sitting straight on. However, if you sit to the left or right of center, then you will see the tapered edges, so that won't work.

Take a piece of paper and sketch a picture of some sort, top to bottom and edge to edge. Now curve the paper, and the image distorts. So how do you get the edges that curve towards you to not distort? All that an "algorithm" can do is shrink the images as they approach the edges, and that is the same as tapering the screen itself.

Another thing is that you can't sit as far to the side as you can with a flat TV because at some point you will be seeing the edge or even the back of one sides of the TV since that side is curved and thus exposing the back. Now, would anyone sit that far to the side? Who knows. I am sitting at my in-laws right now at the fairly extreme right of their TV in their living room. The TV is on and I can see everything without seeing the edge or back of the TV. Now, again, there is distortion with a flat panel too. Hmm...

So until we can change the laws of physics in regards to light, we are screwed either way.

What DOES help is that the screens are 4K or UHD. This usually means better contrast, brightness, and color control, but that has nothing to do with curves.

If you want to spend your money because a screen is curved then I won't stop you. Heck, I won't make fun of anyone that does. It is, after all, your money and if you think it is better, great. Just like speakers, there is a lot of subjectivity to it.

Now if I was in the market for a 4K or UHD TV, and I could find a decent flat screen, that is where I would look first. Then again, I am also the eternal pessimist and I am overly skeptical about slick marketing. That is also why I will never own Apple products, BOSE anything, or Monster Cables. I don't like their deceptive marketing, or they way that they make you feel like if you don't have the latest product that you are "lame" and "uncool." Give me a superior product, and you won't have to add gimmicks and market them as advancements or put in inferior components and brag that they are for the purist.

So we disagree, and that is fine. I still "like and respect" you even if you don't have the same attitude towards me.

Farewell - June 4, 2020