On the same vein as casey01's post, I have taken the liberty of quoting a poster (sisserman) from AVS that I thought applied to our discussion:

This is an interesting post. Bias is a real killer, especially when you WANT something to be true.

Here is a good example. I purchased an Ayre DSD DAC, think I was 2-3 grand range... it wasn't cheap. I compared it to my "budget" AudioLab Mdac (500 bucks on AG).

I initially posted a review of how wonderful this new DAC was... open, detailed..... blah blah. I used a McIntosh MHA100 headphone amp and Sennheiser HD 800 cans, so no way am I'm missing detail or resolution (well not much).

When the excitement cleared I did a blind AB test.... couldn't tell the two DACs apart.... it was almost impossible. I had a fellow audiophile come over for beers and cigars.... he couldn't tell either.... Moved the DACs to the theater and played them through the VR 33 towers.... still couldn't tell a difference.

I think you get to a certain level of quality and it's difference are slight, especially digital. Now this is my personal experience. I know there will be replies telling me my hearing sucks, my wife tells me all the time.... I actually hear pretty well, just selectively.

I sold the Ayre!!! Blasphemy I know. Still worry I missed something.. maybe I should have kept it... That's how powerful bias is.

I gave his post a 'Like'...

TAM