Originally Posted By michael_d
Originally Posted By chesseroo

My thoughts exactly although earlier versions of subs had that port chuff issue. I haven't heard any later sub versions to see if it has been curtailed.

I must be tone deaf, cuase I never heard this "port chuff" you speak of in any of my ported Axiom subs (two 500's and the 600). I think some folks spend way too much time trying to come up with crap to bitch about with respect to speakers and subs.

The new 500's I'm using do sound 'different' than the old ones. More precise, tighter, but that's about it.

I still love my 600.

The port chuff is an OLD topic; way pre-EP500 years when the EP500 was barely a dream twinkle in Ian's eye.
When they brought out the EP500 it had a new wide mouth port on it which i figured was a 'test' of a new design considering the noise the old EP350 ports were producing.

I can dig up the old threads somewhere i'm sure.
The port chuff was simply an excess and fast volume of air leaving the port creating turbulence that sounded like lips farting. I could easily re-create the sound with various heavy bass movie scenes. The sound was not evident when testing with other subs including a SVS.

The EP350 is still in use but it now has extra internal baffle material over the inside port hole to reduce the air flow. It improved the reduction of port chuff, but not eliminated.

Long since that time have i been thinking about replacing the EP350 with something else.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."