Originally Posted By chesseroo

Is the magic gone?

Spoken exactly like a scientist, an evil scientist.

You dastardly demon!

Never!

My first record player was a small, vinyl-covered pressboard box. It played only 78's. As children's recordings, they were made in bright (bilious) yellow, They had an LP-sized hole in the center.

When I wanted to play and sing along with the theme from "The Jetsons," I turned a knob that started the table turning with my selection positioned on it. I gently placed the 17 oz. plastic "tone arm" down on the lead-in slips. I'd watch and wait for the needle (which was no more than the nail-end of a pencil compass) to be drawn into the first groove. Then the magic started.

As the nail became ever-more sophisticated, then so did The Jetsons. Now the nail was a "stylus," tipped with really expensive shit. The Jetsons became The Beatles and the process never stopped, like most things in the modern world.

How a nail on a piece of plastic with grooves (OK, one groove) cut (OK, pressed) into it, could play drums and pianos and trumpets and strings and people singing through a speaker(s), was stupefying.

Still the best magic trick I've ever seen (with eyes wide shut)!

The Jetsons B-side? The B-side was a rockin' little diddy sung by the Judy character's voice over artist. It was called "Oop, Eek, Orc, Ah-Ah, Than Means You're the End." When I say "little diddy" I mean it. That title was the entire chorus. Bite me, Katy Perry.

And now the magic is even more real and louder and bigger; much, much louder, and much, much bigger.

If the magic goes with me, and only me, then so be it.

Come to think about it, this Forum is entirely for seeing images, writing and reading ABOUT hearing. Move along, folks, there's nothing to hear, here.

Do not look at that man behind the curtain! Stop looking! When you close your eyes, it IS magic. Where else does size matter so much only with your eyes closed? If that's not magic...

(Oh, that collection of about 100 78's with original sleeves? Umm, when we had graduated to lp's, we used them for Frisbee toss/brick wall games. The ones that didn't "make it" were gathered up, then we'd move the throw-line about 6 feet (2m) closer each time. As it turns out, it's a rather quick process.)

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.