I had built a small floating glass shelf equipment stand for the upstairs based on one that I bought second hand from a high end equipment store that was moving location and clearing stock.

The stand I bought I was sort of disappointed with the design as I understood why they built it the way they did as it helped reduce the cost, but made it rather flimsy. So I built the new one with a bit more sturdy bracing but still with thin enough pieces of wood to make it look more delicate. (see post #415214 in got wood)

Now I am building a much large unit for the equipment downstairs. As this rack will be 5' tall (vs 3' for the upstairs) and have 6 shelves on it (vs 3 for the upstairs) and some rather heavy 45-60lb amps

I am wondering if you would suggest building it a bit more chunky/thicker wood beams so as to be more rigid?

The unit upstairs still does have a bit of lateral twist if you apply some force to it. (far better than the original it was designed around). If you had a choice between a rack that was more rock solid vs one that was more lighter looking/aesthetically pleasing. what would you choose?

Last edited by oakvillematt; 04/04/16 06:55 PM.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5