todd, the person who came and listened to my set up finally got his mm12's? (correct model?) and i visited sunday morning. when i was unloading the 60's from the car, his wife said the 60's looked better than what he bought. when i entered his family room and saw those flat speakers, i was dumb struck. about 5 foot tall and maybe 18 inches wide with two L brackets keeping them upright. i noticed he had weights over the legs of the brackets. i though to myself they would never fly with my wife. white in color, and about 2 feet from the wall. we placed the 60's beside each maggie on the outer sides. todd has an older yammi avr which has 70 watts, and a 563a player. we threw in gaucho on dvd-a and his player would not play it; bummer. todd does have the player wired for 6.1 with analog cables, but i noticed he had no toslink or coax to the receiver, and explained why he needed them and planned a trip to ratshack that afternoon. brought the spl along and did our best to calibrate. tunes were played flat. i noticed the maggies were not as crisp sounding, but did put out more bass than the 60's. the maggies also sounded fuller which we concluded was because of the rear firing driver. i said that i preferred the 60's because i always max out the treble on what ever i'm listening to, in the car, truck, office, etc. when asked if he could swap them out if he wasn't happy, i was told the dealer gave him a 7 day trial period, not very generous i must say. he loves the sound of the maggies, but upset the center channel will cost more than the pair he has now.
this was not critical listening, but just changing discs, gabbing and enjoyment. i couldn't wait to get home and throw in gaucho, hit the 6 channel input and wake the 20 year old daughter at noon. so, when people ask, and the usual answer is that one needs to listen to make a decision, it's true. he's happy, and i'm happy and we both have different sounding speakers.
dan